Monday, April 14, 2008

My Great Post

Something so cute happened on the way home from school and work today that I mentally reminded myself to blog about it. Then Twin B got in trouble and I completely forgot what the cute, sweet post was even about. I stopped by Wendy's on the way home and got kids meals for the boys. Their theme for toys right now is Sports Illustrated. The toys were these kind of little bean bag toys with sort of a wind sock tail. You can hold the tail and swing the ball around. Knowing how aggressive Twin B is, before I handed him the ball I said "Twin B, if you hit Twin A with this EVEN once, it's going in the trash". Twin B: "Okay". I said again "Twin B, if you hit Twin A EVEN once with this ball, it's going in the trash. Do you understand me"? Twin B: "Yes, Mommy". Me: "Tell me". Twin B: "If I hit Twin A, this goes to the trash". So, I gave him the ball and gave Twin A his. Well, in no time they were swinging them around and I see Twin B hit Twin A with the ball. I told him to go throw it in the trash. He immediately goes into full blown crazy crying tantrum mode. I finally got him near the trash and reminded him of our deal. I said "What did I tell you would happen if you hit Twin A EVEN once"? Twin B: "It goes in the trash. I won't hit him again". I told him he wouldn't hit him again because the ball would be in the trash. He cried so much and so hard he made himself throw up and he wet his pants. I felt like the worst mom ever. I'm trying to take a proactive approach like I did tonight by telling him the consequences of his actions beforehand instead of trying to deal with the aftermath. I know I did the right thing but I sure felt rotten. Luckily 3 year olds (at least mine) don't hold grudges too long. It wasn't long before he said he wanted to hold me, which in his language means he wants ME to hold HIM. At least all was forgiven before long. I'm just at my wits' end about how aggressive and bully-ish he is and I want to nip it in the bud before he turns into a big kid bully instead of a 3 year old bully. Any great advice out there from more seasoned moms?

3 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Aww, it just breaks your heart! I think you should get the parenting strength award of the week for not buckling under those tears!

conley730 said...

Thanks, Spy. That makes me feel really good. Maybe I'm not such a horrible mom after all. It's just hard even though I know I'm doing the right thing I feel like such a "bad guy"!

ooooo said...

no advice here it sounds like you have a plan and are sticking to it. But we all know that you are a good mom